Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Student Success Statement
“Nothing in the world can take place of PERSISTENCE.
TALENT will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
GENIUS will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
EDUCATION will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

President Calvin Coolidge
30th president of the US (1872-1933)

This quote from Calvin Coolidge is an impressive one. Basically what he is saying is that talent, genius, and education alone can only get you so far. What you need in order to get far in life is perseverance. I agree with this quote. I think that I actually have a lot of talent, a lot of intelligence, and a respectable amount of education, but I don’t have any perseverance. I could get anywhere in life if I just try hard enough which I never do. I have made myself content with being an average student who is barely passing some of his classes when he has the potential to be an A student. And just last month I was asked to participate in an art gallery and I didn’t enter anything due to procrastination. Imagine what I could’ve done if I just tried hard enough. So yeah I agree with the quote, these qualities will only get you so far, but if you have perseverance, you can get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment